Friday, 25th September 2020 I Apia, Samoa – Digicel has announced its Go Big on Community initiative confirming a total of $50,000 tala to be handed out for various community projects in Samoa.
The $50,000 cash grants for community projects also marks the celebration of Digicel becoming the first network and entertainment provider in Samoa to accomplish 100% LTE on all its sites.
The launch of the Go Big campaign took a holistic approach to include milestones on network and digital services, as well as offering support to the community.
Digicel has invested its resources in select niche disadvantaged segments of society since 2006.
Its projects have contributed to the social and economic development of the community, improving lives of thousands around the country since it first came to Samoa.
Digicel’s contributions include relief supplies during natural disasters, the Ray of Hope initative, a Maternity Shelter at the Samoa Victim Support Group, and Tevi’s Learning Centre at Samoa Primary School to name a few. Assistance has also been provided to the Samoa Kidney Foundation, the Health Sector, various sports events and development programs as well as Sponsorship for Team Samoa Special Olympics during last year’s World Games.
Digicel CEO, Mark Witthuhn says “We are going big in supporting communities and we want to provide much-needed help to our people. This funding will help individuals or groups implement projects to uplift local communities. We want to empower, support and help to positively impact the lives of others. We invite you to send in your ideas to address health, education, youth empowerment, sustainable livelihoods, community safety and more,”
“This year we wanted to celebrate our proactive involvement in community development by focusing on ensuring that our investment would touch the hearts of people. Our fellow Samoan people are going through tough times during the Covid-19 pandemic and we want to bring hope, confidence and a sense of belief back in our local communities” added Mark.
“We want you to be agents of change in your community, and be proud that through the work you do, Digicel Samoa is able to contribute to the development of the nation,” concluded Mark.
Digicel Regional CEO – Pacific Group, Ms Shally Jannif, said; “I am thrilled to see Digicel Samoa launch the Go Big Samoa campaign, $50,000 community grants imitative today. Digicel has always been at the fore-front of supporting communities in the region. Recently we bought equipment and furnished a new computer lab and we have done more community based projects which has impacted the lives of Pacific people in Fiji, Tonga, Vanuatu and Nauru. We will continue on this journey and want to bring the best to our people in the Pacific.”
- You can register your idea by visiting www.gobigsamoa.com with selected ideas to be awarded grants. Entries are open to Samoa residents only and you must have parental support if you are under 18years. Entries close on 20th October and successful projects will be announced on 26th October.
Terms & Conditions of the Grant Funding
- Must be a Samoan Citizen of any age. Anyone under the age of 18 requires parental consent. Digicel staff and their families cannot apply.
- Proposal must be impacting the community and making it a better place (Proposed “GO BIG Project”). Proposal must be sent through the online portal (https://gobigsamoa.com) or emailed to: Samoa_Mkt_AllStaff@digicelgroup.com
- If you are chosen you will be contacted to sign a grant form.
- Grant funding will be paid at Digicel’s discretion to parties Digicel deems correct for the best possible completion of the chosen GO BIG Project. Hence monies might not be paid to you personally and in most cases will likely be allocated directly to the project, community or persons you are trying to assist.
- Any monies paid to you must be reconciled in the format provided by Digicel to those who are provided a grant.
- You and the assisted organization or community must, as condition of funding, allow a recording of a follow up story and representation on the project execution.
- Any grant is subject to signing of a contract with further terms and conditions as supplied to successful applicants after being chosen.
- Applications close on Wednesday, 20th October, 2020
- Successful GO BIG Projects will be announced on Monday, 26th October, 2020
ABOUT DIGICEL GROUP
Digicel Group is a total communications and entertainment provider with operations in 31 markets throughout the Caribbean, Central America and Asia Pacific. Digicel also runs a host of community-based initiatives across its markets, including Digicel Foundations in Haiti, Jamaica, Papua New Guinea and Trinidad and Tobago which focus on educational, cultural and social development programs.
Visit www.digicelgroup.com for more information.