Regulator Issues Reminder of Samoa Broadcasting Standards
12 October 2021, Apia Samoa. The Office of the Regulator headed by Lematua Gisa Fuatai Purcell has issued a warning statement to all broadcasters, highlighting conditional standards and rules for holding broadcasting licenses.
“All Broadcasters are reminded to take all reasonable steps to establish and respect community standards in determining the content of the material that is planned to be broadcast,” states Samoa’s Regulator Lematua Gisa Fuatai Purcell.
The Regulator warns that care must also be given to the time of the broadcast; and sensibilities of the audience that can reasonably be expected to hear or view the material at those times.
“In anticipation of the implementation of the Broadcasting Standards, Licensees are directed to observe the following Community Standards including:
• Social Responsibility:
– Prudence and Decency, must be maintained, consistent with the context of the programme and the wider context of the broadcast;
– Law and Order, observe standards consistent with the maintenance of law and order taking into account the context of the programme and the wider context of the broadcast; and
– Discrimination and Denigration, must not encourage discrimination against, or denigration of, any section of the community on account of race, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, origin or status;
• Information Broadcast
– Balance, take reasonable efforts, or give reasonable opportunities, to present significant points of view either in the same programme or in other programmes with regards to news and current affairs;
– Accuracy, take reasonable efforts to ensure that news, current affairs and factual programming are accurate and not misleading.
• People or Organisation affected in Broadcast
– Privacy, maintain standards consistent with the privacy of individuals;
Fairness, deal fairly with any person or organisation taking part or referred to in any broadcast.
Failure to comply may result in suspension or revocation of your Broadcasting Licence.
Please note the toll free number to call the Office of the Regulator is 8006687 for any queries
Lematua Gisa Fuatai Purcell
MKR Building, Savalalo, Samoa