As the number of cases world wide closes in on 150,000 and over 5,500 deaths as of 14 March, Samoa has announced that inbound travellers from 33 countries must present proof of being tested negative for COVID-2019 before they’ll be allowed in.
The latest travel advisory states that travellers MUST PROVIDE proof of test results done within 5 days for the Coronavirus (COVID-2019).
The announcement made on Saturday night imposes the new restrictions by 8am Sunday morning, giving no notice to travellers who may be booked to arrive into Samoa today.
The list of countries for the compulsory 14 day quarantine measure has increased to 33 and now includes Australia and the United States, however the COVID-19 test results is now an additional requirement.
“ALL travelers with COVID-19 positive test will NOT be allowed to enter Samoa”
“ALL MUST spend at least 14 days self-quarantine at country of last port and must have a Medical Clearance within (3) days prior to arrival into Samoa. This must be their final stop before travelling to Samoa”
“In the event you arrive and have NOT satisfied the above three requirements, YOU WILL BE RETURNED to the country of last Port, before arrival in to Samoa”, warns the latest public notice.
The New Zealand Health Ministry of Health says New Zealand laboratories are able to test for COVID-19. “The Ministry is working closely alongside DHBs and public health units around the country and they will keep us up to date of any suspected cases”.
In Australia the NSW Ministry of Health says “samples for testing can be taken directly by GPs or at a range of private pathology sites across the state that are suitable for collection of COVID-19, or at public hospitals across NSW”.
COVID-19 testing in California is reserved for the elderley and those showing symptoms.
The Samoa Director General of Health has denied rumors that there is a suspected case being tested in Samoa who travelled in from Australia.
Notice Issued 11pm Saturday 14 March:
⚠️⚠️⚠️IMPORTANT NOTE: PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THIS ADVISORY WILL COME INTO EFFECT – SUNDAY 15 MARCH 2020, AT 8AM⚠️⚠️⚠️
⚠️NOTED CHANGES: The number of countries and requirements that apply to listed countries⚠️
UPDATED TRAVEL ADVISORY NOVEL CORONAVIRUS (COVID-2019)
Due to the ongoing spread of COVID-19 globally and the declaration by WHO on 11th March 2020, as a Global Pandemic; the risk for Samoa is VERY HIGH.
Border requirements and restrictions is now strengthened at all ports of entry.
ALL TRAVELLERS ENTERING SAMOA MUST NOTE THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS:
1. A Special Health Declaration Card is required to be filled out by all travelling passengers inflight or on arrival in to Samoa.
2. ALL Travellers including returning residents entering Samoa are now required to undergo medical examination by a Registered Medical Practitioner within (3) days before ARRIVAL. Medical clearance report is required for check-in prior to issuing of boarding passes.
3. ALL airline crew and sea vessels crew are required to renew medical reports after 14 days of last medical check.
4. All Travelers entering Samoa including Samoan passport holders who are permanent residents of American Samoa are now required to have medical examination within 3 days before entering; this requirement SHOULD BE SIGNED by the attending physician and COUNTER-SIGNED by the Motusa Tuileama Nua, Director of Public Health, American Samoa.
a. All Samoan Nationals and Permanent Residents travelling to American Samoa are required to have medical examination within 3 days before entering with proof of MMR/MR vaccination. If in the event your travel is less than 3 days; medical examination issued in Samoa will suffice for your return.
5. Compulsory screening of ALL arriving passengers and crew to Samoa is in effect at ALL ports of entry. ALL are required to comply and produce additional documents when asked.
6. All Travelers originating FROM or TRANSITING through;
2) HONG KONG
7) SOUTH KOREA
21) CZECHIA REP.
30) UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
31) UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
32) UNITED KINGDOM
SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS FOR COUNTRIES LISTED ABOVE
I. MUST PROVIDE proof of test results done within 5 days for the Coronavirus (COVID-2019).
II. ALL travelers with COVID-19 positive test will NOT be allowed to enter Samoa
III. ALL MUST spend at least 14 days self-quarantine at country of last port and must have a Medical Clearance within (3) days prior to arrival into Samoa. This must be their final stop before travelling to Samoa.
IV. In the event you arrive and have NOT satisfied the above three requirements, YOU WILL BE RETURNED to the country of last Port, before arrival in to Samoa.
7. ALL Chartered Flights and Cruise Ships intended for Samoa WILL NOT be granted entry into Samoa, until further notice.
8. ALL sea port entries will be screened at the quarantine buoy before the vessel docks at the wharf.
9. ALL Cargo Ships and Fishing vessels entering Samoa with crew change at any port or out at sea MUST COMPLY with ALL REQUIREMENTS stated above. Entry will be denied unless they comply with ALL requirements.
10. ALL Garbage from air crafts and sea vessels landing ashore is now prohibited.
ALL Airlines and Travel Agencies are urged to comply with ALL requirements.
Requirements for ALL Airlines:
With ongoing efforts to prevent COVID-19 from entering Samoa and to control the number of travellers entering, the following amendments MUST be adhered to:
Total number of flights as stated below remains the same;
➡️Flights between New Zealand and Samoa; FIVE (5) flights for both Samoa Airways and Air New Zealand per week, Both Carriers SHOULD NOT exceed five flight and 830 passengers per week.
➡️Flights between Australia and Samoa; THREE (3) flights for both Samoa Airways and Virgin Australia per week,
➡️Flights between Fiji and Samoa; THREE (3) flights per week including Hawaii route,
➡️Flights between American Samoa and Samoa; FOUR (4) flights for both Talofa Airways and Samoa Airways per day.
Airlines are advised to make appropriate Changes for flights into Samoa.
ALL TRAVELLERS OUT OF SAMOA:
1. It is strongly recommended that all persons intending to travel to any country affected by the 2019 Novel Coronavirus postpone their travel arrangements, unless necessary.
2. Be aware of the signs and symptoms of 2019 Novel Coronavirus which include: fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.
3. Preventive measures should be adhered to at ALL times in the event that travel cannot be postponed.
4. The Public Health, Ministry of Health Samoa STRONGLY ADVISES ALL Groups and Sporting bodies intending to travel overseas to RECONSIDER or CANCEL travel arrangements.
For more information contact Tagaloa Dr. Robert Thomsen on Phone: (685) 66503 / 7676015 or Email: email@example.com or Dr Sarah Brown email: firstname.lastname@example.org