Man Escapes Quarantine Site and Enters Western Union Before he is Recaptured


Police have confirmed that a man who arrived into Samoa last week escaped the MIQ (managed isolation) site and stayed out overnight until he was recaptured this morning.

“We were informed that a man escaped from one of the quarantine sites last night, however was recaptured this morning by NEOC,” said Papalii.

The Deputy Police Commissioner said the man has since been taken to the Faleolo site where he will stay for the rest of his mandatory quarantine period.

“And as you know once someone has breached isolation [rules] there are fines that will follow and it will be issued by the Police,” said Papalii.

The man is understood to be a seasonal worker who returned to Samoa on one of two repatriation flights that arrived last week.

Video circulating online showing health workers spraying down the front of the Western Union office.

A video circulating online shows members of the National Emergency Operations Centre in full PPE gear spraying down the the Development Bank of Samoa building, in and around the area occupied by the Western Union.

Sources say the man entered Western Union and is seen on the company’s surveillance cameras waiting in line to collect his money.

Western Union closed for the rest of the day. Wed 20 Oct 2021.

The man is also understood to have crossed the road to the SNPF plazza and entered the Digicel branch.

Both branches of Western Union and Digicel have posted notices on their doors advising the public that they have closed for the rest of the day.

Sign on the door of Digicel branch SNPF plazza

Other businesses next to Western Union and Digicel were still open to the public on Wednesday afternoon.

Businesses in the plazza still open on Wed afternoon.

Attempts to reach the Ministry of Health Chief Executive Officer, Leausa Dr Take Naseri were unsuccessful.

Meanwhile the public are calling for the times and locations of interest the man nay have entered during the hours he was out of quarantine.