Liverpool Edge Chelsea to Win FA Cup on Penalties in Thrilling Final at Wembley Stadium


Liverpool kept their hopes of winning the quadruple alive with a 6-5 penalty shootout victory over Chelsea in the FA Cup final at Wembley Stadium on Saturday.

The sides, meeting in a second domestic cup final this season, played an entertaining, scoreless draw over 120 minutes before deciding it on penalties.

It was a carbon copy of the League Cup final in February, which Liverpool won 11-10 on penalties after that game also finished goal-less.

Kostas Tsimikas, on as a substitute, scored the winning penalty.

Kostas Tsimikas has a bit of fun with the crowd’s deafening cheers after striking goal in the penalty shootout. GETTY IMAGES.

Saturday’s win means Liverpool remain on course for an unprecedented Quadruple of trophies.

They are three points behind Manchester City in the Premier League race with two games to go. They meet Real Madrid in the Champions League final on May 28th.

“I’m really proud of my boys,” Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp told BBC in a post-match interview. “Chelsea were outstanding, but in the end there can only be one winner and today, it was us.”

Adding the FA Cup means Jurgen Klopp has won every major trophies with Liverpool.

For Chelsea, it meant an unwelcome record of becoming the first side to lose three FA Cup finals in a row, after losing to Arsenal in 2020 and Leicester City last year.

Sadly for Chelsea, as in February, it was a case of so close, yet so far away, although manager Thomas Tuchel had no regrets.

“Like in the last final, the League Cup, no regrets. I told the team I was proud,” he told reporters.

“We played 240 minutes in two finals against maybe the most dangerous attacking team in the world and it’s 0-0.

“I was sure during the match the momentum was on our side, but unfortunately I was not right.”

Goalkeeper Alisson Becker was Liverpool’s hero in the FA Cup final penalty shootout. GETTY IMAGES. 

Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson was handed the cup by Prince William to roars from the Liverpool fans who stayed on for the presentation, while the Chelsea end was largely empty.

“It’s a big moment for us — we haven’t been in this final for some time, so to win it was special,” Henderson said.

The win was Liverpool’s eighth in the 150-year history of the FA Cup, drawing them level with Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur who’ve also had 8 wins. Arsenal have won the most with 14.

Match Summary

Liverpool were on top early with Luis Diaz a particular threat. A through-ball from Trent Alexander-Arnold put Diaz through on goal in the eighth minute, but Edouard Mendy denied him before Naby Keita put the rebound wide.

Chelsea responded well to Liverpool’s pressure, with Christian Pulisic going close on 23 minutes after excellent play between Mount and Reece James on the right wing. Shortly after, Pulisic’s pass gave Marcos Alonso a sight of goal, but Alisson was off his line quickly to deny the Chelsea defender.

On 33 minutes, Liverpool suffered a blow when Mohamed Salah was forced off due to injury. Diogo Jota came on in his place and put a good chance just over moments before half-time.

Chelsea made the faster start after the break with Pulisic drawing a save from Alisson and Alonso striking the crossbar from a free kick, but both sides toiled and could create only half-chances for much of the second period.

Liverpool had a golden chance to win the trophy in normal time when substitute James Milner’s cross found Andy Robertson, but he struck the post from close range.

Neither side were able to find a breakthrough in the additional 30 minutes, meaning spot kicks for the second time this season.

Cesar Azpilicueta missed and Mason Mount saw his spot kick saved for Chelsea as Kostas Tsimikas scored the decisive penalty.

Mendy had kept Chelsea alive when he saved Sadio Mane’s penalty, but it proved to no avail, as Liverpool won the trophy for the first time since 2006.