The high level bilateral talks held yesterday afternoon between Samoa and the People’s Republic of China has led to the signing of 7 Memorandums of Understating (MOUs) with feasible and practical on the ground implications for several sectors.
One such example is that three primary schools in the Apia urban area are beneficiaries of the MOU with the Ministry of Education Sports and Culture (MESC).
The MOU will lead to support for St. Therese, Apia and Lepea Primary Schools who stand to benefit directly from the ‘Exchange of Letters’ inked this afternoon between China’s Vice Chairman for International Development Cooperation Agency Zhou Liujun and the CEO for the MESC Afamasaga Dr. Karoline Fuatai.
The document is one of 7 Memorandum of Understandings (MOUs) endorsed by the People’s Republic of China and the Government of Samoa at the conclusion of bilateral talks between China’s Vice Premier Hu Chunhua 胡春华 and Samoa’s Prime Minister Tuilaepa Dr Sailele Malielegaoi at the Aggie Greys’ Sheraton Hotel yesterday afternoon.
The other 6 MOUs signed between the two countries include two to facilitate growth of industry on e-commerce and investment, two for agricultural and fisheries development, one for infrustructure development and one for economic and technical cooperation.
• ELECTRONIC COMMERCE COOPERATION- Signed between Pulotu Lyndon Chu Ling CEO Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Labour and Wang Shouwen China’s Vice Minister, Ministry of Commerce.
• STRENGTHENING INVESTMENT AND PRODUCTION CAPACITY COOPERATION- Signed between Pulotu Lyndon Chu Ling CEO Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Labour and Wang Shouwen China’s Vice Minister, Ministry of Commerce.
• AGRICULTURAL COOPERATION- Signed between Tilafono David Hunter, CEO Ministry of Agricultural and Fisheries & China’s Vice Minister of Agriculture and Rural Affairs Zhang Taolin.
• STRENGTHENING COOPERATION IN INFRASTRUCTURE SECTORS- Signed between Magele Hoe Viali CEO Ministry of Works, Transport & Infrastructure and Wang Shouwen China’s Vice Minister, Ministry of Commerce
• PROTOCOL ON INSPECTION, QUARANTINE & VETERINARY SANITARY REQUIREMENTS FOR WILD MARINE FISHING AQUATIC PRODUCTS TO BE EXPORTED – Signed between Tilafono David Hunter, CEO Ministry of Agricultural and Fisheries & China’s Vice Minister General Administration of Customs Zou Zhiwu
• AGREEMENT ON ECONOMIC AND TECHNICAL COOPERATION- Signed between CEO Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade Peseta Noumea Simi & China’s Vice Chairman Cooperation Agency Zhou Liujun.
The Premier’s State Visit to Samoa coincides with the 3rd China-Pacific Island Countries Economic Development and Cooperation Forum hosted in Apia from today through to Monday 19-22 October 2019
Leaders from 8 Pacific Island Forum countries are attending the one day forum with China’s Vice Premier held at the Sheraton in Apia on Monday. Those PICs are also taking the opportunity to hold bilaterals with China while the Vice Premier is here.