Friday 8 April 2022, Apia Samoa. Cabinet has appointed a high-powered Commission of Inquiry to lead a national review of the election process and make recommendations on the country’s Electoral Act following the April 2021 General Elections.
The Commission will be Chaired by former Public Service Commissioner Tuuu Luafatasaga Dr Ieti Taulealo, with a high calibre lineup of nine other members of the Samoa community – none of whom is a former MP or had run as a candidate in the recent general elections.
Minister for the Office of the Electoral Commissioner (OEC) Hon Lefau Faualo Harry Shuster said this is the first time the Commission of Inquiry will be made up of high standing apolitical members of the community.
“We have selected esteemed and qualified individuals from the community, and not those involved in politics such as former MPs and former candidates as we have seen in past years..”
“Atonu o se uluai taimi lea ua filifilia ai nisi o le atunuu, e le o ni tagata o aafia i faiga faapolokiki, e pei ona iai nisi o tausaga, sa filifilia mai latou sa avea ma faipule o le palemene, faapea nisi sa tauva i faiga palota..”
The Minister said the Commission of Inquiry will be tasked to analyse and examine the 2021 General Election process and results, and also review the law and put forth recommendations on the existing Electoral Act.
“This is a huge task and we are thankful to the members selected for accepting the role,” added the Minister.
Commission Chairman Tuuu Luafatasaga Dr Ieti Taulealo said the Commission hopes to soon hold their first meeting, adding that the public will have the opportunity to make submissions as part of the inquiry process.
The Chairman said it is not a responsibility they take lightly, and expressed his appreciation to Cabinet and the Government for entrusting them to lead this important process for Samoa.
The Commission of Inquiry Members are:
1) Tuuu Luafatasaga Dr Ieti Taulealo: Former PSC Chairperson, former MNRE CEO, former Director of Samoa Lands and Survey, former President of PSA (1981), Civil Engineer (University of Canberra), Masters Degree and PhD (University of Sydney).
2) Feesago Geogre Fepuleai: Former PSC Chairperson, former Samoa Airways Chairman, former Diplomat.
3) Faamausili Dr Matagialofi Lua’iufi: Consultant. Former PSC Chairperson, First Samoan appointed to the BSP Board of Directors, Dr in Philosophy, Masters in Science.
4) Letuiman’usina Dr Emma Kruse-Vaai: Former Deputy Chancellor, former CEO SQA, long-serving educator.
5) Erelini Vaiao Eteuati: Faletua Malolo Manumalo, Faletua of Former President of Methdost Church.
6) Peseta Arasi Tiotio: Consultant. Former CEO of Samoa Land Copration, President Women in Business Development Inc, former Board Member Samoa Chamber of Commerce, Board Member Samoa Business Hub.
7) Reverend Elder Tavita Roma: Former Chairperson of Congregational Christian Church of Samoa (EFKS), Faifeau Toeaina Faatonu Malolo Manumalo.
8) Vaaelua Rimoni Vaaelua: Former Senior Judge of Lands and Titles Court, Former Assistant Police Commissioner.
9) Tupuola Oloialii Koki Tuala: Partner of Koki Tuala Chartered Accountants, Businessman, Director PFL, former Board Member Samoa Chamber of Commerce.
10) Leulua’ialii Tasi Malifa: Constitutional Specialist, Senior Lawyer.