Wednesday 26 May 2021 Apia Samoa. Applications to strike out 14 counter petitions have been denied by the Supreme Court.
Chief Justice Satiu Simativa Perese, Justice Vui Clarence Nelson and Justice Niava Mata Tuatagaloa presided over the arguments of legal counsels both for and against; before handing down their judgment yesterday, to confirm all 14 counter petitions would now proceed for substantive hearings starting June 7th.
A total of 28 petitions were filed with the Supreme Court following the April general elections; 14 against FAST and 14 against HRPP candidates.
Election petitions are filed by losing candidates, alleging the elected member for their constituency had engaged in illegal activity during the campaign period. It is well known that counter-petitions are sure to follow.
FAST lawyers filed counter petitions against the 12 HRPP and 2 Tautua Samoa candidates who had sued their clients.
At the close of applications for counter petitions, none had been filed by HRPP for the 14 petitions against their elected members.
In Court Wednesday morning lawyers for the original petitoners; Afa Lesa, Tuatagaloa Shane Wulf and Leiataualesa Jerry Brunt, argued why the counter-petitions against their clients should be struck out.
Tanya Toailoa, Muriel Lui and Fuimaono Sarona Ponifasio defended the 14 counter petitions filed by FAST party members.
The following is a lists of the 12 HRPP and 2 Tautua Party petitoners who will now face counter petitions against them.
1. So’oalo Feo Mene vs Vaele Paiaaua Iona Paiaaua Sekuini
2. Gatoloaifaana Amataga Gidlow vs Magele Sekati Fiaui
3. Ili Setefano Ta’ateo Tafili vs Agaseata Valelio Gaseata Peto
4. Sua Tanielu Sua vs Masinalupe Makesi Masinalupe
5. Lopaoo Natanielu Mua vs Niuava Eti Malolo
6. Namulauulu Papalii Leota Sami Leota vs Papalii Lio Taeu Masepau
7. Ifopo Matia Filisi vs Auapaau Mulipola Aloitafua
8. Sili Epa Tuioti vs Matamua Seumanu Vasati Pulufana
9. Afamasaga Toeolesulusulu Lepuiai Rico Tupai vs Toeolesulusulu Cedric
10. Taueva Fa’afouina Mupo Sauvao vs Fesolai Apulu Tusiata Tuigamala
11. Salausa John Ah Ching vs Manuleleua Paletasala Talitau Tovale
12. Laufou Alofipo Faamanu Manase vs Tuala Tevaga Ponifasio
13. Tupai Avala Savaiinaea vs Mulipola Anarosa Ale Molioo
14. Afualo Luagalau Wood Salele vs Fepuleai Faasavalu Faimata Sua