The Office of the Electoral Commissioner has announced Friday 12th November as the official polling day for Samoa’s seven pending by-elections.
In a public statement the OEC confirms the Honourable Speaker Papalii Li’o Oloipola Ta’eu Masipa’u has issued the official warrant instructing the Electoral Commissioner to proceed with issuing of the Writs for the seven by-elections to return the seats of electoral constituencies that were declared void after electoral petitions.
“The Office of the Electoral Commission wishes to inform the public of these key dates of the by election process:
1. Issuing of Writ for by elections – Friday 15th October 2021
2. Nomination of Candidates 18th October 2021 to 22nd October 2021.
3. Withdrawal of Nomination: 29th October 2021
4. Campaigning period opens 25th October and closes 9th November
5. Pre-Polling: 10th November 2021
6: Polling Day: 12th November 2021
In an interview with the Samoa Global News Electoral Commissioner Faimalomatumua Mathew Lemisio said there are more than 16,800 registered voters in the seven districts with 1,103 eligible to pre-vote. He added at the time, that preparations were already well underway.
The public will be kept informed of the process by the OEC through its social media pages and website www.oec.gov.ws